Monday, August 1, 2011

Day one, Where did all this drama and problems start?

I'm Michelle, I am 28 years old woman with a 7 year old daughter. The drama probably started when I had my daughter at the young age of 20 years old. I thought I had it all figured out, that I knew everything I needed to in order to make it through this life. Taking birth control and having unprotected sex, does not qualify as a smart decision. But none the less I have a wonderful daughter that I means more to me, than finishing my degree at a college farther away than UMSL I knew my daughter's father for 9 months before I was pregnant, still at a young age, 9 months is not enough time to get to know someone and have a child with them, because oh they can change from being a responsible working person, to a unemployed drunk for 5 straight years. I miss my youth.

My life starting at a young age has never been easy, my family owned a restaurant and my life was consumed by it just as much at their life was. So it really came at no surprise to my mother, whom had my brother at 19, when I told her I was pregnant at 20.  I was a sophomore/junior in college. I wanted so bad to be the first in my family to complete a bachelor's degree. So I kept on, I took classes at UMSL and at Community College. I worked two jobs, one at my school and another at a bar (not something I wanted, the hours just worked). Things eventually ended with my daughter's father. I moved back in at my mom's and then met my husband shortly after. By the way my divorce should be final someday soon (more to come on how to get through that). So that pretty much brings you up to date on me.

Now what to expect from this blog.....several types of interesting pieces of advice or how I overcame certain consistent mishaps. Because if you know me at all, which you probably will at some point, you know that I don't look for problems or drama they just seem to find me, very often. I like to now see each issue as something learned. For example one big accomplishment that I overcame was BALLY'S TOTAL FITNESS!
Let me explain by saying what a nightmare.

When I was 17 I got a call from them stating I won a free pass to their gym, but I wasn't 18, so I wanted until my 18th birthday. I wanted to join the military and I knew that was something I needed to do so I could join. I did the free thing, and when I signed up I was told they needed my credit card information and I needed to sign a waiver before I could start working out. I said, "Ok" and went to the gym floor. This gym was terrible. The smell was horrific and the people were not much either. So upon my early decent I asked what I do to cancel my membership (free). The desk told me nothing. Because it was free.

At a later time I found this all to be untrue.

First my credit card was calling me about the charges. I contacted Bally's told them what happened and what I signed. Apparently I signed a contract for a life time membership! Really? At 18 years old I signed a Bally's total fitness life time membership. So I asked to cancel right away. I was told I needed to live at least 50 miles from a bally's in order to cancel before the contract was over. Luckily I was staying with my grandmother in southern Missouri. I sent in what they requested and thought that was it.

A few years later. I got a letter in the mail from an attorney's office pertaining to a Bally's total fitness debt. I told them what happened and what I did and they stated I needed to pay. Well of course I didn't, because I canceled. So what did I do? Nothing that most 18-20 year olds would do, I simply ignored it.

So 5 1/2 years later I get served with court papers because they are suing me for the balance. I called my attorney, gave him $200.00 to resolve and kept living. Next then I now a few months later my checking account was frozen as I was at Walmart buying diapers. I immediately called my attorney whom stated that bally's had a judgment placed against me, so he did nothing.I closed my bank account and got a new one. Life went forward. Still no word from my attorney. So I again ignored it. Until my paycheck was garnished in 10 years after I "canceled". This was it! I called that attorney again, who wanted me to just pay it or ignore it. So I called Bally's. I told them they stated I needed to write a letter about what had happened and they would research and let me know.They never research, however they did retro-date my cancellation back to 2001. But what about the collection agency and the law office?
Well Bally's never told any of them, so they were still collecting on a debt. I called the collection agency, who then kept referring me to their law office who then told me to get a lawyer. Now a young mother going through a divorce does not have money for a lawyer on something that was resolved years ago. After numerous attempts to settle this matter directly with the agencies and law firm and getting no where, but hung up on. I wrote to my attorney general. I have never done that or thought I would ever need to, but I did. I explained my situation, how I was being ignored, but the law firm garnishing my paycheck. After I sent all this information I waited. 2 weeks later I got a letter in the mail that the attorney general for Missouri has gotten my complaint and they would research the matter. 6-8 Weeks later I got a full refund on my garnishments and the garnishment was stopped.

Lessons to be learned here.......Don't ignore anything and make sure you get something in writing from a company regarding a cancellation. Read what you sign. Don't ever pay a lawyer any money for something you could possibly handle on your own. Finally RESEARCH! Do your homework on matters that could conflict with your daily living. I did and I got a refund for $880.00.

Next time I will talk about going to college full-time, having a child, and working two jobs. Sounds tough but you can do it. I did it all without any government assistance. So it is possible, you just have to want something bad enough.

 

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Michelle! I think it is hilarious though that Bally's is trying to advertise on your Blog because you mentioned them. I know it's all automated but still a bit ironic.

    ReplyDelete